Elon Musk wades into US immigration debate by visiting Texas-Mexico border to obtain “unfiltered” view of the situation
By stating that objective of his visit to the Texas-Mexico border was to obtain what he called an “unfiltered” view of the situation by meeting local politicians and law enforcement, billionaire Musk waded into the U.S. immigration debate on Thursday. Musk’s visit has happened in the backdrop of thousands of immigrants venturing to northern Mexico in recent days on buses and freight trains, then crossing the U.S. border into Texas, California and Arizona in a visible upswing in arrivals of people seeking asylum in the US.
The sharp rise, especially around San Diego, California, and the Texas border towns of Eagle Pass and El Paso, follows a prior lull in unauthorized border crossings following a fresh asylum policy enforced by Democratic President Joe Biden’s administration to discourage such activity. Musk payed visit to Eagle Pass, where hordes of immigrants have for several days been wading across the Rio Grande close to a railroad bridge in Eagle Pass, not deterred even a wee bit by coils of razor wire placed along the river banks by the Texas National Guard.
Clad in a black T-shirt, aviator-style sunglasses and black cowboy hat, Musk pressed for a two-pronged approach to overhaul U.S. immigration laws in a video-selfie posted on his social media platform X (formerly twitter). He demanded an “expedited legal approval” for a “greatly expanded legal immigration system” that welcomes “hard-working and honest” emigrants, but denies entry to those who are “breaking the law.” “We want to do both things – smooth out legal immigration and stop a flow of people that is of such magnitude that we’re leading to a collapse of social services,” Musk stated.
Musk, a South African native, drew attention to his own status as an “immigrant to the United States” and termed himself “extremely pro-immigrant.” CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, Musk has increasingly engrossed himself into American politics. He hosted launch of Republican presidential campaign of Ron DeSantis (Florida Governor) on Twitter in May, crashing the service. He had claimed earlier this month that he had declined a Ukrainian request to let use his Starlink satellite network to aid in its attack against Russia and had a meeting last week with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu, who urged him to strike a balance between protecting free speech and fighting hate speech on platform X.
In the video clip of length 4-minute, he introduced U.S. Representative Tony Gonzales (a Republican from Texas), whose district spans over 800 miles of the border. Gonzales welcomed Musk and stated that people along the Texas border “really feel abandoned.” Musk has major business interests in Texas. Tesla’s Gigafactory is located in Austin, Texas and Space X operates a major launch and testing facility in Boca Chica, Texas.
Can not find what you looking for?
We've recently added
- Tesla employee hailing from Minnesota arrested for threatening to kill Elon Musk and Joe Biden
- Elon Musk’s X platform to introduce peer-to-peer payments
- Worth of X has dipped by 71% post Musk’s takeover, Fidelity estimates
- First India factory of Elon Musk’s Tesla to be in Gujarat, announcement likely in Vibrant Gujarat event
- Media Matters sued by Elon Musk’s X over ad controversy, billionaire asserts ‘first of many’
- Elon Musk addresses accusations of antisemitism: ‘Nothing could be further from the truth’
- Elon Musk offers genuine apologies for not meeting Piyush Goyal at Tesla factory
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman takes a dig at Elon Musk’s Grok AI chatbot (competitor of his ChatGPT)
- Neuralink triggers buzz, thousands willing to volunteer for Elon Musk’s brain chip implant startup
- India looks to provide all approvals to Elon Musk’s Tesla by January 2024
- Elon Musk uncovers Grok, an AI chatbot set to challenge ChatGPT
- Elon Musk and UK PM Rishi Sunak discuss deadly humanoid robots at AI summit
- Musk says Starlink ready to provide internet connectivity to support Gaza aid organisations
- ‘Not just numbers’, Elon Musk goes overtly emotional on Tesla earnings call; Analysts call him ‘little baby’
- Elon Musk: “I will give them a billion dollars if they change their name to **********”